21 Days of AWS using Terraform — Day 5- AWS Auto-Scaling Group using Terraform
Welcome to Day 5 of 21 Days of AWS using Terraform, So far we build VPC ,EC2 and Application Load Balancer, let’s build Auto Scaling Group and rather then creating an instance via EC2 module, let auto-scaling group take care of it based on load.
What is Auto Scaling?
What auto-scaling will do, it ensures that we have a correct number of EC2 instances to handle the load of your applications.
How Auto Scaling works
It all started with the creation of the Auto Scaling group which is the collection of EC2 instances.
- You can specify a minimum number of instances and AWS EC2 Auto Scaling ensures that your group never goes below this size.
- The same way we can specify the maximum number of instances and AWS EC2 Auto Scaling ensures that your group never goes above this size.
- If we specify the desired capacity, AWS EC2 Auto Scaling ensures that your group has this many instances.
- Configuration templates(launch template or launch configuration): Specify Information such as AMI ID, instance type, key pair, security group
- If we specify scaling policies then AWS EC2 Auto Scaling can launch or terminate instances as demand on your application increased or decreased. For eg: We can configure a group to scale based on the occurrence of specified conditions(dynamic scaling) or on a schedule.
In the above example, Auto Scaling has
- A minimum size of one instance.
- Desired Capacity of two instances.
- The maximum size of four instances.
- Scaling policies we define adjust the minimum or a maximum number of instances based on the criteria we specify.
To read the complete blog
21 Days of AWS using Terraform - Day 5- AWS Auto-Scaling Group using Terraform
Welcome to Day 5 of 21 Days of AWS using Terraform, So far we build VPC ,EC2 and Application Load Balancer, let's build…
Looking forward for you guys to join this journey
- Website: http://100daysofdevops.com/
- Twitter: @100daysofdevops OR @lakhera2015
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/795382630808645/
- Medium: https://medium.com/@devopslearning
- GitHub: https://github.com/100daysofdevops/100daysofdevops
- Slack: https://join.slack.com/t/100daysofdevops/shared_invite/enQtNzg1MjUzMzQzMzgxLWM4Yjk0ZWJiMjY4ZWE3ODBjZjgyYTllZmUxNzFkNTgxZjQ4NDlmZjkzODAwNDczOTYwOTM2MzlhZDNkM2FkMDA
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/laprashant/videos?view_as=subscriber
In addition to that, I am going to host 5 meetups whose aim is to build the below architecture.
- Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/100daysofdevops
- Day1(Nov 10): Introduction to Terraform https://www.meetup.com/100daysofdevops/events/266192294/
- Day 2(Nov 16): Building VPC using Terraform
- Day 3(Nov 17): Creating EC2 Instance inside this VPC using Terraform
- Day 4(Nov 23): Adding Application Load Balancer and Auto-Scaling to the EC2 instance created on Day 3
- Day5(Nov 24): Add Backend MySQL Database and CloudWatch Alarm using Terraform